We are Hiring!
McCarthy Tax Preparation is looking for a Senior Staff Accountant to be part of our rapidly growing virtual tax firm serving financial advisors and their clients across the country. We are committed to employee growth and this position will be expected to be supervisory and client facing within the first year at the firm.
About the Firm:
McCarthy Tax Preparation (also known as Advisor Facing Tax) values our clients and our employees. Our Core Values are:
- Integrity – preparing returns and providing advice in a way that maximizes the client’s tax situation but clearly stays within the boundary of the law
- Responsiveness – Doing great work for our clients and being responsive to their needs. Communication is key to our business and we succeed by providing better service to our clients
- Fun – We try not to take ourselves too serious! Our goal is to provide a flexible, challenging and growth oriented workplace for our employees
About the Job:
This is a virtual position and we make heavy use of some of the best technology in the tax field, including Zoom video meetings, Slack communication channels, client portals, workflow tracking, electronic signature and payment. While we work remotely, we also keep regular, predictable hours – you’re not expected to check in when you’re off unless previously arranged for a specific purpose.
In return, we trust that you’ll reliably be here for us when you say you will – and that means working exclusively on McCarthy Tax projects during your work hours (not on unsanctioned side projects or other work). We do understand that life happens during the day and that doctors and school officials keep schedules, too – but we expect that you’ll respect your coworkers by minimizing the impact of those and other unavoidable mid-day appointments.
McCarthy Tax is growing quickly through the strength of financial advisor referrals and we are looking for individuals that are ready to go along for the ride!
- Prepares and reviews individual returns primarily with Schedule C’s, Schedule E’s, multi-state and stock options ensuring quality and accuracy
- Prepares and reviews partnership and S-corp returns
- Performs tax research and tax projections
- Clearly communicates (virtually via email, phone, or video chat) with clients and staff on a daily basis
- Prepares and reviews monthly bookkeeping using Quickbooks Online and Hubdoc
- Sit in on intro calls with new clients with an eye towards growing into this responsibility
- Reviewing other staff work with an eye towards supervising employees in the near future
- An independent worker that is looking to break free of cubicles and loves to be rewarded for work done and not time spent in the office
- A love of technology! We are a techy tax firm!
- Certified Public Accountant (or actively working towards) or Enrolled Agent
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Two or more years of experience in public accounting
- Individual, partnership and S-corp return preparation experience
- Strong accounting software and Excel skills. Ultratax & BNA Income Tax Planner software experience is a benefit
- Must be organized, meticulous, and detail-oriented
- Ability to work increased hours from the last week of January – Tax Day
- Work from home
- Summer hours (Jan 25-Tax Day 50-60hrs, Tax Day-May 15 40hrs, May 16-Aug 15 32hrs, Aug 16-Jan 24 40hrs)
- Flexible schedule – we ask is the that majority of your work is completed during normal business hours (Monday – Friday). We work with clients all over the United States and try our best to be available when we are needed (8am – 5pm in the Eastern, Central, or Pacific time zones)
- Paid holidays
- $55,000-$70,000 depending on experience
- Tax season bonus potential
- Career progression including additional client interaction and job responsibilities within the first year
- CPE and training will be provided
- Two weeks of paid vacation to start
- At this time no health insurance coverage or 401(k) is offered
- Pull out your phone and send a video intro to john (at) johnmccarthycpa.com. Tell us a little about yourself and why you think you are perfect for the position.
- Provide your LinkedIn profile.
- For the right candidate, be prepared to take the Strengthfinder personality test and submit to a background check.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.